Christmas 2011

Christmas 2011

Zachary

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Sadie

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

10.23.2006

Daily Devotion

This was my devotion for today - I really enjoyed it and thought that I would share it with everyone else too. I tend to try and control things in my life; which I shared just yesterday with my small group at church. Amazing how God speaks to us!
Have a great week - Kimberly

"Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel."
Philippians 1:12

Some things are facts of life. Tires blow out and computers crash. Teeth decay and inflation skyrockets. Ants invade picnics and people get promoted ahead of us. Some things can't be avoided.

Few of us have actual control over these facts of life. But before you totally absolve yourself from any responsibility, there's one more fact to consider: You are responsible for the way you respond to these everyday, unavoidable inconveniences. You can either give up in dismay, or you can look to your sovereign Lord, who has everything under control.

The apostle Paul assumed responsibility for his attitude toward trials. When he wrote Philippians 1:12, he knew that his response played a part in advancing the gospel - that's why he took seriously his attitude when he stumbled upon unavoidable problems - because much more was at stake. Other lives could be influenced. God was taking notice.

You may not be in prison as was Paul. However, today you may find yourself in a set of circumstances over which you have no control. The weather has ruined your outdoor plans. The traffic forces you to be late for work. The electricity went out this morning in your home. You may not be able to claim responsibility for the situation, but you can be accountable for a godly response. Just remember what's at stake.

~~~~~~~~~
Dear Lord Jesus, I realize that I have an opportunity today to advance Your Gospel by my patient response to problems. I pray that as others look on - whether my family, neighbors, or co-workers - they will see that You give me power and strength to smile through the circumstances. I know that others will be influenced by my attitude. And because You are watching, help me to honor You today in all that I do. Amen.

No comments: